What You Will Learn
- Parenting is really about brain development
- Being selective about science
- Why do we need parents, anyway?
- Five inescapable questions
- The four things that improve a baby’s brain development
- Electronic gadgets: Forget ’em
- Is morning sickness a good thing?
- When baby wants to be left alone
- Severe stress hurts both mom and baby
- Bundle of joy? Yes, but…
- 83% of marriages suffer in the transition to parenthood
- The four biggest reasons you’ll fight
- Men, get out the vacuum cleaner
- Two steps to a relationship that’s good for baby
Smart Baby: Seeds
- 8,000 neurons per second!
- What’s better than IQ
- The brain cannot learn unless it feels safe
- What does “smart’ mean?
- Seven types of intelligence
- Every brain is wired differently
Smart Baby: SOIL
- The best kind of playroom
- Talking to your child improves IQ
- How to raise cognition scores by 50%
- TV before age 2
- The harm in hyper-parenting
Happy Baby: Seeds
- Could happiness be genetic?
- Where emotions happen in the brain
- Mirror neurons: I feel you
- The brain freely mixes emotion and cognition
Happy Baby: Soil
- The secret to happiness
- Verbalizing emotions
- Empathy calms the nerves
- The one parenting style that works
- Are babies born moral?
- The three-legged stool of discipline
- Kids lie a lot (every two hours, by age 4)
- Explaining your rules